The Onion Pakora recipe, a pleasant and tasty twist to the Traditional style. Light and crispy outer coating with a delicious sweet Onion centre, leaving a warm after bite of Chilli in the mouth. We can guarantee that one bite of our Onion Pakora will leave you wanting more!
- 4 Large Onions
- 500g/1lb Gram Flour (Chickpea Flour)
- 4 Chopped Green Chillies
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Sunflower Oil
Here at Pakora Recipes, over the years we have found that the specific produce listed above are by far the best and give spectacular results. Highly recommended for best results when making our Pakoras.
- Peel and cut Onions into thin slices.
- Wash and finely chop the Green Chillies.
- In a mixing bowl put the Gram Flour, Baking Powder, Cumin Seeds, Chilli Powder, Green Chillies and Salt then lightly mix together by hand.
- Now add the Onions and again, mix by hand. (The Salt brings out the natural juices of the onions, reducing the amount of water needed to form a thick batter).
- Add Water until you have a thick batter mix at a consistency where it will just about drip from your finger.
- Heat Sunflower Oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan until a small piece of onion sizzles when dropped into it. (CAUTION: Hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended).
- When the oil is hot, place tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and fry until golden brown (approx 5-6 mins).
- Turn from time to time to achieve best results. Cook no more than 5 portions at a time to allow each Pakora to cook thoroughly.
- Once cooked, remove the Onion Pakoras from the oil and place on a paper kitchen towel to drain off any excess.
Serve hot for best results.
Can also be eaten cold as a delicious snack.